Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mothers worst nightmare!

My friend Tiffa came to visit us and we decided to go paddleboating on the river. After a great time we walked to the tram stop where it was unusually crowded. It is high tourist season and the stop we were at (Narodni Divadlo - for you prazaci) was packed. Our tram came and Tiffa helped me onto the tram where I did my usual check list. Benji - check, Vinson - where is Vinson? There are so many people and he often runs to a chair by himself and sits down. Sweeping the chairs and getting more anxious, "Vinson! Vinson!" The tram shut the doors and started pulling away. I still thought there was a good chance Vince was on the tram. He is so independent lately. As the tram pulls away in slow motion I see Vinson on the platform crying and walking into the street to follow the tram. The tram turned and he was out of sight. For those who don't know the stop from Narodni Divadlo to Staromestka is one of the longest, and it's one where trams and cars share the street. I was imagining Vince getting plowed. He's so small I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even see him. My face went white and some nice Czech women who caught on to what was going on and watched this whole thing were as horrified as myself. One told me to push the emergency button and the other ran towards the driver to explain the problem. I buzzed and buzzed and the tram stopped - more likely from traffic than that the woman actually reached the driver or my buzzing - and I forced the doors open and sprinted back to Vinson praying that he was safe. Then I saw him holding an old woman's hand. Vince saw me and ran to me still crying. Vince: "Mom you got on the tram and I wasn't on the tram." We talked about what happened and how both of us would make sure it never happened again. Phew!!! Then I was getting panicky as we were walking back to the next tram stop that Tiffa wouldn't get off at the next stop and she would get lost with Benji and if this were the case I knew she didn't know how to get to our house. But there she was waiting at the next stop. Double phew!! That was enough excitement to last . . . well forever. I love Vinson!

5 comments:

SD Fiddlers said...

Wow! What a scare. Randall lost Lorana this week, too, but fortunatly no busy roads and a ward member "happened" to be where she ran into Lorana.

Weight Family said...

Kids know how to take years off our lives in a split second! So glad you were reuninted quickly--and thank goodness for nice old ladies!

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

Wow Val, that sounds so scary! I'm so glad things worked out to find him quickly.

Morgan said...

Let's hear it for Czech grandmas who look after everyone's kids. :) Give the kids a squeeze for me. We miss you guys!

Jaime Dawn said...

That is terrifying! So cool that Tiffa is there visiting though. Love to everyone.